Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer
14 September 2010 - 5 March 2012
Ministerial Responsibilities within the Treasury Portfolio
Assists the Treasurer in the development, implementation and administration of policies in the following areas:
Competition and Consumer Policy
- Administration of Australia Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
- Responsibility for implementation and administration of competition and consumer policy.
- Consultative arrangements with industry and the states.
Corporate governance and taxation
- Design of law and regulations and its implementation in relation to corporate governance, insolvency, accounting, audit regulations and taxation.
- Administration of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and representation on the Ministerial Council for Corporations.
- Ministerial responsibility for achieving government objectives in regard to financial literacy in raising public awareness and fostering initiatives that will build the capacity of Australians to make better decisions about their money.
- Business tax compliance and other measures as delegated by the Treasurer.
- Representational duties, correspondence and administrative matters in general portfolio matters as referred by the Treasurer, including taxation and representation as Australia's Alternate Governor to the Asian Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and World Bank.