The Crest of the Commonwealth of Australia Treasury Portfolio Ministers
Picture of Wayne Swan

Wayne Swan

Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer

3 December 2007 - 27 June 2013

26 April 2013

Gillard Government helping rebuild Brisbane's iconic RiverWalk

Joint media release with
Senator the Hon Joe Ludwig
Minister Assisting on Queensland Floods Recovery

The rebuilding of Brisbane's iconic and much loved RiverWalk is a step closer following the awarding of the $72 million reconstruction contract to John Holland Group.

The Gillard Government is providing up to $54 million towards a new walkway to replace the very popular structure that was damaged and partly washed away in the January 2011 floods.

The RiverWalk is a significant piece of community infrastructure for Brisbane, used by 3000 people daily.

The rebuild of RiverWalk will make sure that, once again, all residents and visitors to Brisbane can access and enjoy the river.

The new structure will be an extended and safer piece of marine infrastructure, constructed with greater resilience.

The Federal Government, having first committed $54 million in funding over two years ago, welcomes this important step to rebuilding RiverWalk and considers its completion to be a matter of priority for both the Brisbane City Council and Queensland Government.

The Commonwealth is contributing 75 per cent of the costs, and the Queensland Government the remaining $18 million or 25 per cent, under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.

The rebuilding of Queensland is moving ahead well with the reconstruction program now exceeding $7 billion in projects underway or already complete.

All up, the Gillard Government is contributing almost $9 billion to the reconstruction of Queensland following the floods and cyclones since November 2010.